Friday, March 28, 2008

Road Trip!

Its here! Its finally here! Martinsville race weekend, my favorite date on the Sprint Cup schedule. My daughter and I started out this morning from our New Hampshire home at 5am with a typical late March, New England-style snowstorm. The first 30 or so miles were heavy wet snow which then changed to rain until we hit New York City, at which point the sky cleared and we both watched the thermometer gradually creep up from its original starting point of 30 to the low 70s by the time we hit Delaware. Twelve hours after we started, we cruised into Norfolk, Virginia with temperatures in the low 80s and not a cloud in the sky. Yes, Norfolk is on the complete opposite side of Virginia as Martinsville, but there was a little matter of some hockey – AHL style! You see, my other sports love – my Manchester Monarchs – are in town for two games and then head to Hershey to play the dreaded Bears Sunday afternoon. Being the loyal fan I am, and knowing just how important each point is in their quest for the playoffs, I knew that me being there might be the difference between winning and losing. We had the pleasure of sitting with about 20 other Monarchs fans who had also braved the open road to support the team, they were in it for all 3 games while my daughter and I just helped out tonight… and yes, I am aware its my fault if they lose the next two, but deep in my heart I know that our being there was the reason that they came away with an impressive 4-0 win.

We are planning on leaving around 9am tomorrow, its about a 4 hour drive on VA 58, so it will be up at 8am and a trip to the nearest Bojangles for breakfast (Thanks David Poole!). Of course I won’t be filling up too much, there is a matter of the famous Martinsville Jessie Jones Hotdog. I figure 2 for lunch when we get there at 1, and then 2 more for later in the race; with a few more set for Sunday.

Of course, there’s a lot for me to comment on today; from the continued saga of Jack Rousch/Toyota, an injured Elliot Sadler, Kyle Petty missing the race (When was the last time a Petty didnt race Martinsville?) and point swapping… but that will all have to wait, as I have been awake since 4am and need to hit the sack… but I promise plenty of blogging over the next few days!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only am I jealous of you going to hockey and 2 races, but I am seriously jealous of the food you are going to be eating. As a west coaster I am dying to get my fingers on one of those Martinsville hot dogs. Have a great time.
Kendria

nh_nascarfan said...

Ohhhh, the food was sooooo good today! 2 breakfast biscuits from Bojangles with their famous sweet tea, 4 - yes 4 - Jessie Jones Hot Dogs, plus dinner at the Texas Tavern in Roanoke, where I had 2 more chili-cheese 'hots' and a 'cheesy without' (a cheesy western - cheeseburger with a fried egg, relish, and pickles - the without means without onion). So much for my diet! Best of all... more tomorrow!!!